TO MAKE YOUR OWN MUG HUGGER COOKIES, YOU WILL NEED:
For the cookie batter:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) cubed, cold
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (you may need as much as 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the royal icing:
- 1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 eggwhite
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar, just until smooth and combined.
- Mix in the eggs until incorporated.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, and salt, and mix on medium low speed. The mixture will seem very dry and sandy at first, but after 3 to 5 minutes in the mixer it will gather itself into a ball and pull away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla. (If you do not have an electric stand mixer with a paddle attachment, you may have to knead the dough by hand to fully bring it together.)
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper, to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Cut using a mug hugger cookie cutter (we got ours from the Christmas section in Target), and bake for 9 to 12 minutes (for approx. 2 1/2 inch cookie).
- Cool completely, then decorate with royal icing.
- Serve with your favourite Pod & Parcel coffee.
"Current favourite is the Munro, goes so well with milk!" Tabitha T, Customer
Thank you to Baking a Moment for inspiring the cookie dough recipe.